|“||This hatch I found baffles me. As I witnessed the last survivor being, yet again, the victim of the dreaded hook I stumbled upon it as I slowly backed away. I finally found my keyhole. With my last strength I opened it, entered its tunnels and somehow found my way to the campfire. Now I sit here contemplating its purpose. Is hope more important for the Entity than I thought? Is this hatch just a treat you give a dog to as encouragement? For now I take what I can get.||„|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal|
|“||On one rare occasion, I encountered an alternative way to escape. It suddenly dawned on me that I was the only remaining Survivor||„|
|~ A Note signed 'V.' (potentially Vigo)|
The Black Lock will automatically open when there's only one living Survivor left on the map (all the other Survivors have to have escaped, be dead, sacrificed or disconnected) and a certain amount of Generators have been fully repaired (see below).
It can be opened manually with a Key once turned visible (and interact-able). It will then remain open for 30 seconds and may be used by any other remaining Survivor in that time-frame to escape the trial.
Unless the Key is equipped with the Milky Glass Add-on, it will be consumed upon opening the Hatch.
The Key is also required to unlock the Where Did They Go?!? Achievement.
During the 2.0.0 PTB, the Hatch could be closed by the Killer if they reached it before the Survivor. This mechanic received two iterations on the Public Test Build, the first required that another Generator must be repaired in order to re-open the Hatch, the second iteration powered all remaining Generators upon closing the Hatch, thus having the Survivor open an Exit Gate instead. The Hatch-closing mechanic was not implemented in Patch 2.0.0 as the Developers and parts of the Community were not satisfied with how the changes played out in the Public Test Build. It also opened up other Problems which lead to the Developers deciding to revisit the entire end-game situation instead of just the Hatch in some future update.
The Hatch will spawn in a randomly selected location on the Map at the very start of the trial and remain invisible and non-interact-able to both the Survivors and the Killer.
The Hatch will reveal its location once open by emitting a peculiar sound:
The Hatch will become visible ("spawn") whenever the number of fully repaired Generators exceeds the number of living Survivors by 1:
- 4 Survivors remaining: 5 repaired Generators / Exit Gates are powered
- 3 Survivors remaining: 4 repaired Generators / 1 Generator left
- 2 Survivors remaining: 3 repaired Generators / 2 Generators left
- 1 Survivor remaining: 2 repaired Generators / 3 Generators left
There are currently three Achievements related to the Hatch.
|Agonising Escape||Hidden: Crawl your way out of the Exit Gates or into the Hatch .|
|Backdoor Escape||Hidden: Escape from the trial through the Hatch .|
|Where Did They Go?!?||All 4 Survivors escaped through the Hatch in a single trial.|
- The name Black Lock stems from an earlier concept version back when the Hatch mechanic wasn't conceived yet and instead there would have been several Black Locks distributed across the Maps.
- Much like with Windows , the Killer can interrupt a Survivor in the process of jumping into the Hatch. If timed correctly, the Survivor will be grabbed out of the hatch and hoisted onto the Killer's shoulder, regardless of the Survivor's current Health State.
- During one of their weekly Streams, Developers Dave and Ash revealed the Black Lock having a deep connection with a particular Character. Said Character has been mentioned at least at some point in the Game.
The following audio file shows the entire sequence of the Hatch's behaviour in-game:
|Bear Traps||Chests||Crows||Dark Mist||Exit Gates|
|Moonlight||Pallets||24px Pools of Devotion||Totems||Windows|