|“||There is a vast monster of a man with a hideous grin torn across the mask that keeps stalking my every move. Similar to a hunter, he tracks us, priming devastating traps amongst the greenery. Extreme vigilance and a light step is essential in avoiding the blood-curdling clench of a bear trap or the clutches of what I've taken to calling "The Miserable Smiling Killer". I have but many times managed to get caught in one of these traps. I have nothing but a fear for the feeling of blunt trap spikes grinding against my bones or for the heavy and deliberate footsteps which always inevitably reveal a plastered, sadistic grin. With the traps and the Trapper, it has so far been a constant battle between looking up and looking down.||„|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896 on The Trapper|
|115% | 4.6m/s|
|Slasher Character 01|
The Trapper is an area-control Killer, able to apply pressure across the Map by placing deadly Bear Traps for Survivors to step into.
He is focused on physical attributes and making use of his strength and the Survivors' fear.
Difficulty rating: Easy
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
Evan MacMillan idolised his father. It wasn't just that he was heir to a great fortune, it was the way he ran the estate. Raised under his firm hand, Evan had taken to running the workforce with an iron hand. Production was always high and the MacMillan Estate prospered under father and son.
As Archie MacMillan's mental health slowly disintegrated, Evan protected him from the herd who wanted a piece of the fortune. No matter what his father asked of him, Evan would do.
When Archie MacMillan finally snapped, Evan became his enforcer in what would become known as the worst mass murder in modern history. They never proved that Evan lead over a hundred men into those dark tunnels before detonating the explosives and sealing them to their fate.The tale of the MacMillan Estate is a tale of wealth and power gone very wrong.
How many victims fell to the hands of father and son is unknown. No record is ever made of what became of Evan MacMillan. His father is another unsolved puzzle, found trapped in the locked basement of his own warehouse - starved and abandoned.
The Trapper's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Trapper's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Unnerving Presence - Level 30
- Brutal Strength - Level 35
- Agitation - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Trapper's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards
Your presence alone instils great fear.
Triggered Skill Checks' success zones are reduced by 40/50/60 %.
"Its presence befalls us."
Your great strength allows you to shred through your prey's defences.
"It's more than muscles. A dark power motivates the beast."
You get excited in anticipation of hooking your prey.
"At some point, the excitement of hooking one of us becomes more important than the desire to kill us."
Weapon: The Cleaver
The Cleaver is the primary weapon of the Trapper. A brutal cleaver, hammered by his own hands from the metals of the mine.
- If he hits a Survivor, he will wipe off the blood on his arm.
- The cleaver has a relatively small hit radius.
Power: Bear Trap
The Bear Trap is the secondary weapon of the Trapper: Bear traps are found lying around the map. They can be picked up and set down mostly anywhere. Traps are not armed until picked up and placed. The Trapper starts the game with a single trap in his hands, and can only carry one at a time unless using the Trapper Bag or Stitched Bag Add-ons.
After pressing alternate attack, the Trapper bends down and sets the trap, looking directly downwards allowing nearby survivors to run around him unseen. If a survivor walks over an armed trap however, the trap will spring and catch one of their legs, where upon they will be trapped in place until either they manage to free themselves, a fellow survivor comes to free them, or the Trapper returns to hoist them onto his shoulder. A trapped survivor will make a lot of noise, alerting the Trapper, and be visible to the Trapper through walls. The traps also possess an aura that can be seen by the trapper at all times, and from all ranges. This is useful for identifying which traps have not yet been set as well as traps that have been disarmed. Should the Trapper walk within the hitbox of one of his traps, he will reach down to free himself, but the trap will remain in the set position and no effect is imbued upon the Killer.
It is very common for experienced Trappers to put Bear Traps in hard-to-identify locations such as tall grass, around a corner, or on one side of a window in order for survivors to trigger them without being previously alerted to their position.
- Immobilises and injures trapped Survivors.
- Starts match with 1 Bear Trap.
- 5 Bear Traps are available randomly placed throughout the Map.
- Sabotaged Bear Traps respawn after 3 minutes.
- It takes The Trapper 2.5 seconds to set a Trap and Survivors 3.5 seconds to disarm a Trap per default.
- The Bear Trap's "setting time" is divided into 3 phases: putting the Trap down (0.5s), setting the Trap (1.5s), and standing back up (0.5s). Only the middle phase is affected by Add-ons.
- A Survivor's chance of freeing themselves from a Trap is 25 % while each attempt takes 1.5 seconds. This chance can be increased with the use of Perks and Offerings that affect the Luck Mechanic.
- The Bear Trap can be darkened by using the Logwood Dye or the Tar Bottle Add-ons. Darkening them will make them much more difficult to spot for Survivors and allow you to set traps in open locations as well, though that is usually not advised as most Survivors will see them:
|Default||Logwood Dye||Tar Bottle|
Add-ons for Bear Trap
|Trapper Sack||A crude leather sack suitable for foraging.
|Trapper Gloves||Protective padded leather gloves.
|Strong Coil Spring||A large and heavy coil spring which adds a good amount of strength to the Bear Trap's hold.
|Padded Jaws||These padded jaws are meant to restrain, not to wound.
|Trapper Bag||A cured leather waist bag. Large and sturdy to transport hunting equipment.
|Trap Setters||Simple tools designed to quickly and safely set Bear Traps.
|Serrated Jaws||These replacement Bear Trap jaws have saw-like blades which cause awful open wounds when they snap.
"Like a predatory beast, it can smell and track blood."
|Logwood Dye||Wood ash. When boiled, can be used to dye Bear Traps and make them less noticeable.
|4-Coil Spring Kit||A replacement kit for Bear Traps which changes the usual dual spring system to 4 coil springs, adding a great amount of strength to a Bear Trap's hold.
|Wax Brick||A block of wax used to lower friction and facilitate movement in mechanical parts.
|Tar Bottle||A black, matte and sticky substance similar to tar. When applied to Bear Traps, makes them far less noticeable.
|Setting Tools||Specialised tools designed to quickly and effortlessly set Bear Traps.
|Secondary Coil||A secondary coil which keeps a Bear Trap functional in times when the primary coil becomes unusable.
|Rusted Jaws||These Bear Trap jaws are covered with crusty and volatile rust spots that make injuries particularly difficult to heal.
|Stitched Bag||Skin pieces of all sorts crudely stitched together making for a very large bag.
|Oily Coil||A clear oil that makes handling the Trap's spring more hazardous.
|Honing Stone||When used with the Bear Trap, the Honing Stone sharpens its blades. The razor-sharp blades inflict deep wounds aimed at bleeding the victim as fast as possible.
|Fastening Tools||A specialised set of tools used to fasten Bear Traps to ensure their effectiveness.
|Iridescent Stone||Traps sharpened with this sickly gleaming stone seem to gain a life of their own.
|Bloody Coil||Part sticky, part slippery, this grim liquid makes handling the Trap's spring more dangerous.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Trapper.
The value of Console Achievement that differs from the Steam (PC) version of Dead by Daylight is written in Purple.
|Adept Trapper||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Trapper using only his Unique Perks: Unnerving Presence , Brutal Strength & Agitation .|
|Cripple Them All||With The Trapper , grab a total of 100 / 10 trapped Survivors directly out of the Bear Trap .|
Players can customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Trapper reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
Some Items of clothing can only be worn if the appropriate DLC is owned.
The Trapper's attire includes:
- Prestige I - Bloody Cleaver (Weapon)
- Prestige II - Bloody Evan (Head)
- Prestige III - Bloody Rubber And Hooks (Body)
- Main article: Downloadable Content
Trapper is currently part of 3 DLC packages:
- The Trapper's Mask - Chuckles
- YouTubers/Streamers Exclusives - H2O Delirious Exclusive
- Deathgarden Mask
- Must own Deathgarden
Main article: Hints
- Due to only starting out with one Bear Trap and having to gather and set all other Traps individually, The Trapper loses a lot of valuable time at the start of the Trial. It is thus advised to carefully think about the Trap placement.
- Avoid stepping into your own Bear Traps while carrying a Survivor, as you will drop them otherwise.
- Traps are near invisible in grass and difficult to see on reddish surfaces.
- A very commonly used strategy is to hook a Survivor in the Basement and trap all entrances to it. This works especially well in the Killer Shack.
- Placing Traps in the middle of a Pallet comes at a risk. When hoisting the trapped Survivor onto your shoulder a nearby Survivor could stun you with the Pallet and cause you to drop the caught Survivor.
- The Trapper was the only playable Killer during the BETA.
- The Trapper's Alpha name was "Chuckles".
- In the Game Files, it is misspelt as "Checkles".
- The Trapper is affiliated with the MacMillan Estate Realm in the Lore.
- The Trapper might be based on Jason Voorhees, as both Characters are large and muscular men, wear a mask, wield a simple yet crude bladed weapon, and are fiercely loyal towards one of their parents (Jason towards his mother, Evan towards his father). Also, Jason has been known to use Bear Traps from time to time, while the Trapper uses them as a staple of his attack style.
- The Trapper's mask might be inspired by the mask of the Babyface Killer from the 2009 movie The Hills Run Red, as both are cracked and resemble a human face.
- When a Survivor gets caught in a Bear Trap and escapes, the Trap will open up to let them out and then snap shut. If The Trapper is caught in his own Trap while walking over it, he will reset it instead.
- Some renderings of The Trapper without his mask on can be found inside the Game Files, revealing that he's bald.
- The Trapper was the first Killer to wear a face mask.
For more go to The Trapper's Gallery