Max Thompson Jr.
|“||A most terrible man to behold. His physique is all twisted and disfigured as of by some awful accident. He carries a deadly and cruel chainsaw which he wields with devastating violence, seemingly imbuing him with a superhuman speed for a while. His advantage is also a weakness as the loud noise can give away his position. So I have tried to heighten my sense of sound. Honing in on any sound that is not stemming from nature.||„|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896 on The Hillbilly|
|Max Thompson Jr.|
|115% | 4.6m/s|
|230% | 9.2m/s (Chainsaw)|
|Slasher Character 03|
The Hillbilly is a high-mobility Killer, able to cover large distances in a short amount of time and instantly down Survivors using his Chainsaw.
He is about persistence and resilience. This will make it harder for Survivors to foil him.
Difficulty rating: Easy (Developer) / Hard (Community)
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
The son of wealthy landowners Max Thompson Sr. and Evelyn Thompson, this unnamed boy was an unwanted child born to savage parents. Hideously disfigured, he was shut away from society. So ashamed of their son, they bricked him off into a room and fed him through a hole in the wall. When the boy escaped, he took his revenge savagely and terribly, slaughtering the parents that had tortured him instead of raising him.
After the deed was done, he continued to live his life at the farm, taking out his deranged violence on the animals that were allowed to run free. As he finally broke free from his shackles he ran through the cornfields, chasing and slaughtering whatever he could find. They never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disembowelled animals all over the farm.
Coldwind Farm was quickly settled and the land split up and sold off. There was never a buyer for the farmhouse. Perhaps it was the sound of the chainsaw you could hear throughout those hot summer nights.
The Hillbilly's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Hillbilly's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Enduring - Level 30
- Lightborn - Level 35
- Tinkerer - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Hillbilly's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards
You are resilient to pain.
Your rate of recovery from stuns is increased by 50/60/75 %.
"He stops at nothing."
Unlike other beasts of The Fog, you have adapted to light.
Resistance to blindness is increased by 20/40/60 %. Recovery from blindness is increased by 50 %.
"These monsters... they adapt! They emerge with strange new abilities." — Vigo, Vigo's Journal
Weapon: The Hammer
The Hammer is the primary weapon of the Hillbilly. The cattle hammer deals a sharp blow to the skull as the most effective manner of slaughter.
- When he gets a successful hit, the Hillbilly twists the hammer into the air, making sure he'll use the other side of the hammer at the next hit, so the blood can drip off of it.
Power: The Chainsaw
The Chainsaw is the secondary weapon of the Hillbilly. A hulking and deadly chainsaw of terrifying strength. Grinds through flesh, bone, and soul. Once revved up sends its user into a violent frenzy.
- Break into a crazed sprint on activation.
- Turning is tremendously slower without any add-ons.
- Automatically triggers dying state on a successful hit.
- Running into an obstacle will stun the Hillbilly.
- Instantly break pallets with a reduced stun time.
- Must sprint into the pallet, standing directly beside it will only stun the Hillbilly.
Add-ons for The Chainsaw
|Vegetable Oil||A rancid oil used as a poor quality lubricant.
|Spark Plug||A clean spark plug fitted for a Chainsaw.
|Chainsaw File||A file whose purpose is to hone Chainsaw chains.
|Spiked Boots||Boots with metal spikes protruding from the soles, which provide more stability and control when walking on slippery soil.
A mechanical device that limits the amount of fuel small engines can intake at one time, forcing a constant and safe speed.
Bubba's Chainsaw: A mechanical device that limits the amount of fuel small engines can intake at one time, forcing a constant and safe speed.
|Shop Lubricant||An oil specifically formulated for Chainsaws. A special additive prevents oil throw off.
|Primer Bulb||Pumps more gas in the ignition system to ensure a quick and powerful start.
|Long Guide Bar||A sturdy iron replacement bar for long chains.
|Homemade Muffler||A makeshift exhaust system made of black gas pipes.
|Grisly Chains||A chain with unusually hefty cutter teeth that leaves victims crippled even after being healed.
|Depth Gauge Rake||Tool that increases the angle of the depth gauge, making the chain eat more "wood".
|Death Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body counting the amount of lives it took. Fills the user with determination.
|The Thompson's Mix||A special oily substance used in the lubrication of all machinery concocted by the Thompson's themselves.
|Rusted Chains||This chain is covered with crusty and volatile rust spots that make injuries particularly difficult to heal.
|Light Chassis||A light and durable Chainsaw chassis with a shorter guide bar. Makes the Chainsaw easier to handle.
|Doom Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body representing the dark beast that lives in the Fog. Fills the user with determination.
|Carburettor Tuning Guide||A crudely drawn guide to properly adjust and tune a Chainsaw carburetor.
|Thompson's Moonshine||A strong beverage made from corn and a recipe passed down in the Thompson's family. Instils rage and headache.
|Begrimed Chains||This chain is stained with a foul substance that debilitates anyone it touches.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Hillbilly.
The value of Console Achievement that differs from the Steam (PC) version of Dead by Daylight is written in Purple.
|Adept Hillbilly||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Hillbilly using only his Unique Perks: Enduring , Lightborn & Tinkerer .|
|The Grind||With The Hillbilly , chainsaw a total of 100 / 50 Survivors .|
- For additional customisation options, please refer to The Hillbilly's section on the Store Article.
Players can customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Hillbilly reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
Some items of clothing can only be worn if the appropriate DLC is owned.
The Hillbilly's attire includes:
- Prestige I - Blood Soaked Cattle Hammer (Weapon)
- Prestige II - Bloodstain Farmwear (Legs)
- Prestige III - Slaughterhouse Casual (Body)
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Hillbilly is currently part of 1 DLC package:
Main article: Hints
- Your secondary action sends you into a sprinting rage. Any successful hit instantly sends the victim into the Dying State.
- You can tap the secondary action to keep it almost full and use it exactly when you need to.
- If you stop revving your Chainsaw, it will keep making sound while the amount of rev gets depleted back to 0%.
- Every time you rev your Chainsaw, you audibly give away your position on the whole Map.
- Your secondary action may also mask the sounds of Survivors, (breathing, injured, footsteps,) and generally revving it up constantly should be kept for catching Survivors around corners or windows.
- The sprint can be used as long as you hold down the secondary action button until you run into a wall or object.
- Remember to use the Chainsaw sprint to move around maps quickly or to gain distance on a Survivor before using the Chainsaw's attack. Keep in mind the Chainsaw is loud and gives away your position while you use it.
- The Chainsaw is capable to destroying dropped Pallets in about half the normal time of destroying them.
- Although using the Chainsaw to destroy Pallets is much faster, the time it takes to rev up the Chainsaw and the brief stun on destroying a barricade will take longer than simply breaking it by hand. This method of destruction is preferable in a tight chase, where time spent looking at the ground is crucial and the quicker Pallet destruction will benefit you.
- In the first few seconds of charging with the Chainsaw, you are slightly slower but you have far more control over your turning. As you keep going, however, your movement becomes less responsive.
- You don't necessarily have to use the Chainsaw charge to hit Survivors. It's a great way to travel quickly through the map, patrolling many Generators far away from each other.
- You'd be surprised as to how the Chainsaw's sound alone can make Survivors nervous, causing them to fail Skill Checks and generate noise. (Not at higher ranks)
- You can cancel the Chainsaw's sprint at any given moment by simply letting go of the secondary action button, this ensures that you won't run into an obstacle and stun yourself, or to stop right next to a Survivor who has turned the other way.
- The longer your sprint, the longer your stun will be.
- In the Lore, The Hillbilly is described as an unnamed child, the Artbook however revealed his first name being the same as his father's.
- His full name is thus Max Thompson Jr.
- Affiliated with the Coldwind Farm Realm in the Lore.
- He is based off of Leatherface, both having similarly disfigured faces and wielding Hammers and Chainsaws.
- According to the Manual, The Hillbilly killed his parents - but the site contradicts itself on whether or not their bodies were found. The Coldwind Farm Lore states: "...remains were discovered in the basement, both from Mr and Mrs Adams together with livestock.", but the Hillbilly's Lore states: "they never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disemboweled animals, all over the farm."
- It should be noted that the family name "Adams" was likely a WIP name for the Thompsons and that "Mr and Mrs Adams" here actually refers to Max and Evelyn Thompson.
- Benedict Baker's journal entry about The Hillbilly makes little sense as the first hand-held, motorised Chainsaws weren't invented until in 1918 and thus a man that was taken into the Entity's Realm in 1896 should not know about their existence, let alone how to use one.
- The Hillbilly was the first Killer with an ability that allowed him to instantly put a Survivor into the Dying State .
- The Hillbilly limps when he walks and hunches over when he stands. However, when breaking a Pallet, his posture is completely straight.
- The Hillbilly's breathing, like that of The Wraith , is very congested but more muffled and less sharp.
- The Hillbilly is one of 4 Killer with glowing, potentially Entity-touched eyes.
For more go to the Hillbilly's Gallery