23 June to 14 July 2020
Max Thompson Jr.
|“||A most terrible man to behold. His physique is all twisted and disfigured as of by some awful accident. He carries a deadly and cruel chainsaw which he wields with devastating violence, seemingly imbuing him with a superhuman speed for a while. His advantage is also a weakness as the loud noise can give away his position. So I have tried to heighten my sense of sound. Honing in on any sound that is not stemming from nature.||„|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896 on The Hillbilly|
|Max Thompson Jr.|
Alt. Attack =
|115 % | 4.6 m/s|
Alt. Mov. Speed
|230 % | 9.2 m/s (Chainsaw)|
|Filip Ivanovic (Art Director)|
He was introduced as a member of the original Killer Trio that released with the Game on 14 June 2016.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 The Hillbilly's Perks
- 4 Load-out
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Customisation
- 7 DLC
- 8 Tips
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
The Hillbilly is a high-mobility Killer, able to cover large distances in a short amount of time and instantly down Survivors using his Chainsaw.
He is about persistence and resilience. This will make it harder for Survivors to foil him.
Difficulty rating: Easy (Developers) / Intermediate (Community)
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
The son of wealthy landowners Max Thompson Sr. and Evelyn Thompson, this unnamed boy was an unwanted child born to savage parents. Hideously disfigured, he was shut away from society. So ashamed of their son, they bricked him off into a room and fed him through a hole in the wall. When the boy escaped, he took his revenge savagely and terribly, slaughtering the parents that had tortured him instead of raising him.
After the deed was done, he continued to live his life at the farm, taking out his deranged violence on the animals that were allowed to run free. As he finally broke free from his shackles he ran through the cornfields, chasing and slaughtering whatever he could find. They never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disembowelled animals all over the farm.
Coldwind Farm was quickly settled and the land split up and sold off. There was never a buyer for the farmhouse. Perhaps it was the sound of the chainsaw you could hear throughout those hot summer nights.
- This section lists Arcus entries specifically about Max Thompson Jr..
The Hillbilly's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Hillbilly's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Enduring - Level 30
- Lightborn - Level 35
- Tinkerer - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Hillbilly's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards
You are resilient to pain.
You reduce the duration of Pallet Stuns by 40/45/50 %.
"He stops at nothing."
Unlike other beasts of The Fog, you have adapted to light.
Resistance to Blindness is increased by 60/70/80 %.
Recovery from Blindness is increased by 50 %.
"These monsters... they adapt! They emerge with strange new abilities." — Vigo, Vigo's Journal
Weapon: The Hammer
The Hammer is the primary weapon of the Hillbilly. The cattle hammer deals a sharp blow to the skull as the most effective manner of slaughter.
- After The Hillbilly successfully hit a Survivor, during the hit cool-down, he twists the hammer while holding it up into the air, thus making sure to use the other side of the hammer for the next hit and letting the blood drip off of it.
Power: The Chainsaw
|“||A hulking and deadly Chainsaw of terrifying strength. Grinds through flesh, bone, and soul. Once revved up, sends its user into a violent frenzy.||„|
Press and hold the Power button to charge the Chainsaw:
- Break into a crazed Chainsaw Sprint upon activation, moving at tremendously increased speed (9.2 m/s).
- Survivors hit by the Chainsaw are automatically put into the Dying State .
- The default Time penalty for bumping into objects lasts for 3 seconds.
- The default Charge time takes 2.5 seconds.
- The default Cool-down time lasts for 3 seconds.
- The Chainsaw Noise can be heard within 60 meters.
Add-ons for The Chainsaw
- Add-ons support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.
|Vegetable Oil||A rancid oil used as a poor quality lubricant.
|Spark Plug||A clean spark plug fitted for a Chainsaw.
|Chainsaw File||A file whose purpose is to hone Chainsaw chains.
|Spiked Boots||Boots with metal spikes protruding from the soles, which provide more stability and control when walking on slippery soil.
|Speed Limiter||A mechanical device that limits the amount of fuel small engines can intake at one time, forcing a constant and safe speed.
|Shop Lubricant||An oil specifically formulated for Chainsaws. A special additive prevents oil throw off.
|Primer Bulb||Pumps more gas in the ignition system to ensure a quick and powerful start.
|Long Guide Bar||A sturdy iron replacement bar for long chains.
|Homemade Muffler||A makeshift exhaust system made of black gas pipes.
|Grisly Chains||A chain with unusually hefty cutter teeth that leaves victims crippled even after being healed.
Grisly Chains does not stack with other Chain Add-ons.
|Depth Gauge Rake||Tool that increases the angle of the depth gauge, making the chain eat more "wood".
|Death Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body counting the amount of lives it took. Fills the user with determination.
|The Thompson's Mix||A special oily substance used in the lubrication of all machinery concocted by the Thompson's themselves.
|Rusted Chains||This chain is covered with crusty and volatile rust spots that make injuries particularly difficult to heal.
Rusted Chains does not stack with other Chain Add-ons.
|Light Chassis||A light and durable Chainsaw chassis with a shorter guide bar. Makes the Chainsaw easier to handle.
|Doom Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body representing the dark beast that lives in the Fog. Fills the user with determination.
|Carburettor Tuning Guide||A crudely drawn guide to properly adjust and tune a Chainsaw carburettor.
|Thompson's Moonshine||A strong beverage made from corn and a recipe passed down in the Thompson's family. Instils rage and headache.
|Begrimed Chains||This chain is stained with a foul substance that debilitates anyone it touches.
Begrimed Chains does not stack with other Chain Add-ons.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Hillbilly.
The value of a Console Achievement that differs from the Steam (PC) version of Dead by Daylight is written in Purple.
|Adept Hillbilly||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Hillbilly using only his Unique Perks: Enduring , Lightborn & Tinkerer .|
|The Grind||With The Hillbilly , chainsaw a total of 100 / 50 Survivors .|
Players can customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each Category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Hillbilly reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
Some Items of clothing can only be worn if the appropriate DLC is owned.
The Hillbilly's attire includes:
|Marked Spike Maul||Common||A heavy spiking hammer with an asymmetrical elongated double faced hardened steel head. An almost imperceptible whisper echoes in the wielder's mind: "anoyk yeqkany'ye hvay'k l'gnoo eydokl'x : sekall'o ammk'ix"||1 Year Anniversary|
|All Hallows' Eyes||Uncommon||Something wicked pierces the shadows of this frightful night.
"Have a fabulous Halloween 2016!" -The Dead by Daylight Team
|2016 Halloween Event|
|Frosty Eyes||Uncommon||Heart chilling eyes of the cold blooded.
"Have a Wonderful Winter 2017-2018!" - The Dead by Daylight Team
|Winter Solstice 2017|
|Icon||Name||Body||Rarity||Description||Event||Exclusive to Event Participation|
|Pro-Pain||Event||This spiked hammer combines rusty BBQ tools from the old Coldwind farmhouse. It offers a crafty way to tenderize even the most venous meat. Waste not, want not..||Scorching Summer BBQ||No|
|Brutal Rat Hammer||Event||A hefty cattle hammer with a festive rodent flair.||Scarlet Swarm||No|
|Crown of Entity the Great||Event||A crown emanating a festive and ominous aura created by the Entity's biggest fan.||Fourth Year Anniversary||Yes|
|The Scarecrow||Uncommon||When you have nothing else but to put the family's scarecrow's clothes on.||Bloodstained Sack|
|Rancher's Vest & Hat||Uncommon||From the Thompson's wardrobe, one of his father's preferred looks when going out to the city.||Bloodstained Sack|
|Legacy Hillbilly 1||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
|Legacy Hillbilly 2||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
|Legacy Hillbilly 3||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Hillbilly is currently part of 1 DLC package:
Main article: Hints
- By repeatedly tapping the secondary action button, you can "hold" the Chainsaw charge near completion and quickly press it down to go into the Chainsaw Sprint.
- This strategy can be used to better time the activation of the Chainsaw Sprint while following a Survivor running in front of you.
- If you want to keep the element of surprise as to your identity at the start of a Trial, avoid immediately revving up your Chainsaw as it can be heard from far away.
- Constantly revving the Chainsaw is not advised as it can mask small sound any nearby Survivors might make.
- The Chainsaw Sprint can be used for as long as you hold down the secondary action button or until you run into an obstacle.
- Keep in mind the Chainsaw is loud and gives away your general position while you use it.
- In the first couple of split seconds of breaking into the Chainsaw Sprint, turning is much more sensitive than afterwards. This can be used to catch a Survivor with a very sharp initial turn, but also throw off inexperienced Hillbillies.
- You don't necessarily have to use the Chainsaw charge to hit Survivors. It's a great way to travel quickly through the map, patrolling many Generators far away from each other.
- The longer your Chainsaw Sprint, the longer your stun will be upon running into an obstacle.
- In the Lore, The Hillbilly is described as an unnamed child, the Artbook however revealed his first name being the same as his father's.
- His full name is thus Max Thompson Jr.
- Affiliated with the Coldwind Farm Realm in the Lore.
- He is based on Leatherface, both having similarly disfigured faces and wielding Hammers and Chainsaws.
- According to the Manual, The Hillbilly killed his parents - but the site contradicts itself on whether or not their bodies were found. The Coldwind Farm Lore states: "...remains were discovered in the basement, both from Mr and Mrs Adams together with livestock.", but the Hillbilly's Lore states: "they never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disemboweled animals, all over the farm."
- It should be noted that the family name "Adams" was likely a WIP name for the Thompsons and that "Mr and Mrs Adams" here actually refers to Max and Evelyn Thompson.
- Benedict Baker's journal entry about The Hillbilly makes little sense as the first hand-held, motorised Chainsaws weren't invented until in 1918 and thus a man that was taken into the Entity's Realm in 1896 should not know about their existence, let alone how to use one.
- The Hillbilly was the first Killer with an ability that allowed him to instantly put a Survivor into the Dying State .
- The Hillbilly limps when he walks and hunches over when he stands. However, when breaking a Pallet or damaging a Generator, his posture is completely straight as this interaction uses a default animation for most Killers.
- The Hillbilly's breathing, like that of The Wraith , is very congested but more muffled and less sharp.
For more go to the Hillbilly's Gallery
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS IV-VII||CHAPTERS VIII-XI||PARAGRAPH III|
+ CHAPTERS XIII-XIV
|Dwight Fairfield||Nea Karlsson||Feng Min||Kate Denson||Ash Williams|
|Meg Thomas||Laurie Strode||David King||Adam Francis||Nancy Wheeler|
|Claudette Morel||Ace Visconti||Quentin Smith||Jeff Johansen||Steve Harrington|
|Jake Park||Bill Overbeck||David Tapp||Jane Romero||Yui Kimura|
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III||CHAPTERS IV+V
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS VI-VIII||CHAPTERS IX-XI|
|The Trapper - Evan MacMillan||The Nurse - Sally Smithson||The Doctor - Herman Carter||The Nightmare - Freddy Krueger||The Spirit - Rin Yamaoka|
|The Wraith - Philip Ojomo||The Shape - Michael Myers||The Huntress - Anna||The Pig - Amanda Young||The Legion - Frank, Julie, Susie, Joey|
|The Hillbilly - Max Thompson Jr.||The Hag - Lisa Sherwood||The Cannibal - Bubba Sawyer||The Clown - Jeffrey Hawk||The Plague - Adiris|
|CHAPTERS XII-XIV||CHAPTERS XV+XVI|
|The Ghost Face - Danny Johnson||The Deathslinger - Caleb Quinn|
|The Demogorgon||The Executioner|
|The Oni - Kazan Yamaoka|
|Benedict Baker||The Entity||The Observer||Vigo||and many more...|
|The Smasher||The Teacher|