Max Thompson Jr.
|A most terrible man to behold. His physique is all twisted and disfigured as of by some awful accident. He carries a deadly and cruel chainsaw which he wields with devastating violence, seemingly imbuing him with a superhuman speed for a while. His advantage is also a weakness as the loud noise can give away his position. So I have tried to heighten my sense of sound. Honing in on any sound that is not stemming from nature.|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896 on The Hillbilly|
|Max Thompson Jr.|
Power Attack Type
|115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|230 % | 9.2 m/s (Chainsaw)|
Terror Radius Range
|Filip Ivanovic (Art Director)|
Terror Radius Music
He was introduced as a member of the original Killer Trio that released with the Game on 14 June 2016.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 The Hillbilly's Perks
- 4 Load-out
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Customisation
- 7 DLC
- 8 History
- 9 Change Log
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
The Hillbilly is a high-mobility Killer, able to cover large distances in a short amount of time and instantly down Survivors using his Chainsaw.
He is about persistence and resilience. This will make it harder for Survivors to foil him.
Difficulty rating: Easy (Developers) / Intermediate (Community)
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
The son of wealthy landowners Max Thompson Sr. and Evelyn Thompson, this unnamed boy was an unwanted child born to savage parents. Hideously disfigured, he was shut away from society. So ashamed of their son, they bricked him off into a room and fed him through a hole in the wall. When the boy escaped, he took his revenge savagely and terribly, slaughtering the parents that had tortured him instead of raising him.
After the deed was done, he continued to live his life at the farm, taking out his deranged violence on the animals that were allowed to run free. As he finally broke free from his shackles he ran through the cornfields, chasing and slaughtering whatever he could find. They never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disembowelled animals all over the farm.
Coldwind Farm was quickly settled and the land split up and sold off. There was never a buyer for the farmhouse. Perhaps it was the sound of the chainsaw you could hear throughout those hot summer nights.
- This section lists Arcus entries specifically about Max Thompson Jr..
The Hillbilly's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Hillbilly's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Enduring - Level 30
- Lightborn - Level 35
- Tinkerer - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Hillbilly's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards
You are resilient to pain.
The duration of Pallet stuns is reduced by 40/45/50 %.
"He stops at nothing."
Unlike other beasts of The Fog, you have adapted to light.
Survivors attempting to blind you have their Aura revealed for 6/8/10 seconds.
"These monsters... they adapt! They emerge with strange new abilities." — Vigo, Vigo's Journal
Weapon: The Hammer
The Hammer is the primary weapon of the Hillbilly. The cattle hammer deals a sharp blow to the skull as the most effective manner of slaughter.
- After The Hillbilly successfully hit a Survivor, during the hit cool-down, he twists the hammer while holding it up into the air, thus making sure to use the other side of the hammer for the next hit and letting the blood drip off of it.
Power: The Chainsaw
|A hulking and deadly Chainsaw of terrifying strength. Grinds through flesh, bone, and soul. Once revved up, sends its user into a violent frenzy.|
Press and hold the Power button to break into a Chainsaw Sprint.
Survivors hit during a Chainsaw Sprint are put into the Dying State .
- Each Chainsaw action (starting, revving, and sprinting) will cause the Overheat meter to fill.
- When the Overheat meter is filled, the Chainsaw cannot be used until its fully cooled down.
- Reaching the Overheat limit will not interrupt an ongoing Chainsaw Sprint.
- The Overheat meter decreases when the Chainsaw is not in use.
- The Chainsaw Charge time takes 2.5 seconds by default (may be changed with Add-ons).
- The Overheat limit is set at 100 Charges by default (may be changed with Add-ons).
- Starting adds 5 Charges.
- Revving adds 8 c/s by default (may be changed with Add-ons).
- Sprinting adds 2 c/s.
- Heat dissipates at a rate of -3.5 c/s (may be changed with Add-ons).
- After hitting the Overheat limit, heat dissipates at a rate of -6.6 c/s (may be changed with Add-ons).
- The Chainsaw's turn rate (Yaw speed) ranges from initially 412°/s for 0.75 seconds to 32°/s after that.
- A Chainsaw Sprint must last for at least 5 seconds to be considered a "Long Dash".
- Heat only accumulates whenever the Power button is pressed.
Add-ons for The Chainsaw
- Add-ons support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.
On mobile browsers, the values are displayed in small text after the modifier words. Desktop users experiencing issues with the mouse-over may temporarily switch to mobile view at the bottom of an Article page.
|Steel Toe Boots||Boots with a reinforced toe that offer protection from impact.
|Junkyard Air Filter||A cracked and dusty filter. It still manages to work better than the stock model.
|Heavy Clutch||A well-made clutch that keeps the chain moving smoothly.
|Speed Limiter||A mechanical device that limits the amount of fuel small engines can intake at one time, forcing a constant and safe speed.|
|Dad's Boots||A pair of trusty boots, pulled from the corpse of Max Thompson Senior.
|Punctured Muffler||A roughly modified muffler that allows for extra air flow.
|Off-brand Motor Oil||Affordable oil that can be used to lubricate noisy chains.
|Death Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body counting the amount of lives it took. Fills the user with determination.
|Big Buckle||A glorious, shining belt worn by many good ol' country boys.
|Mother's Helpers||A small number of caffeine pills found in Evelyn Thompson's purse. Side effects include nervousness and irritability.
"Doctor, please, more of these!" — Evelyn Thompson
|Low Kickback Chains||A specialised chain that reduces the likelihood of kickback.
|Leafy Mash||A wet mash of fragrant leaves that mask a hunter's scent when stalking prey.
|Doom Engravings||Engravings found on the Chainsaw body representing the dark beast that lives in the Fog. Fills the user with determination.
|Black Grease||Thick grease that can be applied beneath the eyes to reduce glare.
|Tuned Carburettor||Despite being caked in dirt and oil, this carburettor has been well adjusted.
|Spiked Boots||Boots with strapped-on pieces of metal which burrow into mud for more stability and control with each step.
|Pighouse Gloves||Rancid smelling gloves, soiled with unknown substances. Despite everything wrong with them, they do have thick fabric.
"Ain't no mess can stain a hard-workin' man's soul." — Max Thompson Sr.
|LoPro Chains||Light chains that decrease the weight of the Chainsaw, allowing for greater manoeuvrability.|
|Apex Muffler||A masterfully crafted chainsaw muffler that outperforms all others.
|Iridescent Brick||Once representative of Max Junior's confinement, this was the first brick to fall when his room's barricade came crashing down.
"What kinda ruckus you stirrin', boy?" — Max Thompson Sr.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Hillbilly.
The value of a Console Achievement that differs from the Steam (PC) version of Dead by Daylight is written in Purple.
|Adept Hillbilly||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Hillbilly using only his Unique Perks: Enduring , Lightborn & Tinkerer .|
|The Grind||With The Hillbilly , chainsaw 100 / 50 Survivors.|
Players can customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each Category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Hillbilly reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
Some Items of clothing can only be worn if the appropriate DLC is owned.
The Hillbilly's attire includes:
|Marked Spike Maul||Common||A heavy spiking hammer with an asymmetrical elongated double faced hardened steel head. An almost imperceptible whisper echoes in the wielder's mind: "anoyk yeqkany'ye hvay'k l'gnoo eydokl'x : sekall'o ammk'ix"||1 Year Anniversary|
|All Hallows' Eyes||Uncommon||Something wicked pierces the shadows of this frightful night.
"Have a fabulous Halloween 2016!" -The Dead by Daylight Team
|2016 Halloween Event|
|Frosty Eyes||Uncommon||Heart chilling eyes of the cold blooded.
"Have a Wonderful Winter 2017-2018!" - The Dead by Daylight Team
|Winter Solstice 2017|
|Icon||Name||Body||Rarity||Description||Event||Exclusive to Event Participation|
|Pro-Pain||Event||This spiked hammer combines rusty BBQ tools from the old Coldwind farmhouse. It offers a crafty way to tenderize even the most venous meat. Waste not, want not.||Scorching Summer BBQ||No|
|Brutal Rat Hammer||Event||A hefty cattle hammer with a festive rodent flair.||Scarlet Swarm||Yes|
|Crown of Entity the Great||Event||A crown emanating a festive and ominous aura created by the Entity's biggest fan.||Fourth Year Anniversary||Yes|
|The Scarecrow||Uncommon||When you have nothing else but to put the family's scarecrow's clothes on.||Bloodstained Sack|
|Rancher's Vest & Hat||Uncommon||From the Thompson's wardrobe, one of his father's preferred looks when going out to the city.||Bloodstained Sack|
|Legacy Hillbilly 1||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
|Legacy Hillbilly 2||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
|Legacy Hillbilly 3||Very Rare||The touch of the Entity leaves burning scars and blisters of light. Is it a gift or a curse?||Legacy Prestige Reward|
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Hillbilly is currently part of 1 DLC package:
Up to Patch 4.1.0
Press and hold the Power button to charge the Chainsaw:
- Break into a crazed Chainsaw Sprint upon activation, moving at tremendously increased speed (9.2 m/s).
- Survivors hit by the Chainsaw are automatically put into the Dying State .
- The default Time penalty for bumping into objects lasts for 3 seconds.
- The default Charge time takes 2.5 seconds.
- The default Cool-down time lasts for 3 seconds.
- The Chainsaw Noise can be heard within 60 metres.
- Reworked The Chainsaw and the majority of its Add-ons .
- Added a unique Chase and Menu Theme for The Hillbilly.
- Several balance changes and improvements to the newly reworked Add-ons.
- Rebalancing: lowered the Heat dissipation from -5 c/s to -3.5 c/s.
- In the Lore, The Hillbilly is described as an unnamed child, the Artbook however revealed his first name being the same as his father's.
- His full name is thus Max Thompson Jr.
- Affiliated with the Coldwind Farm Realm in the Lore.
- He is based on Leatherface, both having similarly disfigured faces and wielding Hammers and Chainsaws.
- According to the Manual, The Hillbilly killed his parents - but the site contradicts itself on whether or not their bodies were found. The Coldwind Farm Lore states: "...remains were discovered in the basement, both from Mr and Mrs Adams together with livestock.", but the Hillbilly's Lore states: "they never found the bodies of Max and Evelyn, but they did find tortured and disemboweled animals, all over the farm."
- It should be noted that the family name "Adams" was likely a WIP name for the Thompsons and that "Mr and Mrs Adams" here actually refers to Max and Evelyn Thompson.
- Benedict Baker's journal entry about The Hillbilly makes little sense as the first hand-held, motorised Chainsaws weren't invented until in 1918 and thus a man that was taken into the Entity's Realm in 1896 should not know about their existence, let alone how to use one.
- The Hillbilly was the first Killer with an ability that allowed him to instantly put a Survivor into the Dying State .
- The Hillbilly limps when he walks and hunches over when he stands. However, when breaking a Pallet or damaging a Generator, his posture is completely straight as this interaction uses a default animation for most Killers.
- The Hillbilly's Theme music is a remix of the All Hallows' Eve Theme music from around Halloween 2017.
- The Hillbilly's version adds a new melody line on top of the otherwise same accompaniment.
For more go to the Hillbilly's Gallery
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS IV-VII||CHAPTERS VIII-XI||PARAGRAPH III|
+ CHAPTERS XIII-XIV
|Dwight Fairfield||Nea Karlsson||Feng Min||Kate Denson||Ash Williams|
|Meg Thomas||Laurie Strode||David King||Adam Francis||Nancy Wheeler|
|Claudette Morel||Ace Visconti||Quentin Smith||Jeff Johansen||Steve Harrington|
|Jake Park||Bill Overbeck||David Tapp||Jane Romero||Yui Kimura|
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III||CHAPTERS IV+V
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS VI-VIII||CHAPTERS IX-XI|
|The Trapper - Evan MacMillan||The Nurse - Sally Smithson||The Doctor - Herman Carter||The Nightmare - Freddy Krueger||The Spirit - Rin Yamaoka|
|The Wraith - Philip Ojomo||The Shape - Michael Myers||The Huntress - Anna||The Pig - Amanda Young||The Legion - Frank, Julie, Susie, Joey|
|The Hillbilly - Max Thompson Jr.||The Hag - Lisa Sherwood||The Cannibal - Bubba Sawyer||The Clown - Jeffrey Hawk||The Plague - Adiris|
|CHAPTERS XII-XIV||CHAPTERS XV-XVII|
|The Ghost Face - Danny Johnson||The Deathslinger - Caleb Quinn|
|The Demogorgon - Demogorgon||The Executioner - Pyramid Head|
|The Oni - Kazan Yamaoka||The Blight - Talbot Grimes|
|Benedict Baker||The Entity||The Observer||Vigo||and many more...|
|The Smasher||The Teacher|