|“|| These vicious hooks, strewn about this nightmarish world, represent the true horror of the thing that rules this place - this Entity. Killers bring their prey to the hooks to torture them before that twisted mess of claws comes down for the finishing blow. There is still a chance of escape once hung from a hook. Either by enduring excruciating pain as you twist and turn to attempt to escape with a shoulder in pieces, or sometimes you might even get help from others that also reside within this nightmare.
One of the most horrific scenes is not always to be the one on the hook, but rather a witness. To see fear as someone else struggles for freedom is something I wish I could unsee. Limbs moving in unnatural ways and also my own inside struggle. Sometimes I try to help. But many times my fear of the hooks grows too big. What is survival with blood on your hands?''
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal)|
|“||I attempted this escape many a time, much to my own folly. It was a fool's quest that resulted in more pain than it was often worth.||„|
|~ Mysterious Note|
|“|| Do not waste precious time! Find the otherssss! Quickly!
The Entity is pleased! Kill more meat!''
|~ The Voices|
Hooks are procedurally generated in every trial, thus their locations vary.
An exception to that are Hooks inside Landmarks, if they spawn there, they'll always be in the same location.
When in proximity to a hook that hasn't been sabotaged or has not been broken from an earlier sacrifice, the Killer carrying a Survivor is given the opportunity to hook that Survivor, placing them onto the hook.
If a Survivor is killed by the Entity on the hook, the Killer will be unable to use the same hook on another Survivor. The Basement Hooks are an exception to that.
For Survivors, Hooks have three different stages. Stages 1 and 2 each have a duration of 60 seconds:
|Hook Stage||Health Bar||Actions||Explanation|
A Survivor being hooked for the first time will enter Stage One. A Survivor in Stage One can be rescued by another Survivor or attempt to free themselves from the Hook.
Once the Health Bar drops to 50%, the Survivor will enter Stage Two.
A Survivor being hooked the second time, required that they were rescued before reaching 50% health, will enter Stage Two. A Survivor in Stage Two, also known as "Struggle Phase", can still be rescued by another Survivor, but will have to struggle against the Entity trying to kill them. Once the Health Bar drops to 0% or if the Survivor stops struggling, they will enter Stage Three.
A Survivor being hooked the third time, required that they were rescued before reaching 0% health, will enter Stage Three. This also happens to a Survivor upon re-hook who managed to unhook themselves in Stage One, but in the process dropped their health below 50%. This also happens to the last living Survivor, no matter if it's just the first or second hook. A Survivor in Stage Three gets killed by the Entity, completing the sacrifice.
Killers are unable to hook a Survivor on a sabotaged hook, and will have to look elsewhere, potentially losing the Survivor on their shoulder if another Hook is not near enough.
The Entity auto-repairs sabotaged Hooks after 180 seconds.
- That time can be increased by Survivors using Saboteur .
- That time can be decreased by Killers using Hangman's Trick .
The Basement Hooks cannot be sabotaged.
Basement HooksBasement that are attached to the same Hook post. They are always located in the centre of the Basement. They can't be sabotaged and also don't break upon sacrifice. This is so that in spite of all other Hooks being sabotaged, the Killer will always have an opportunity somewhere on the Map to hook a Survivor.
The Lunar Hook was a special Hook model that was featured during the Howling Grounds Event. For every burnt Red Envelope , a Lunar Hook would spawn on the Map. Its Aura would be displayed to the Killer in a blue colour, instead of the usual red. Hooking a Survivor for the first time on such a Hook would grant the Killer one Burnt Coin , 40 of which would unlock the The Hound customisation option for The Huntress.
The Grill Hook was a special Hook model that was featured during the Scorching Summer BBQ Event. For every burnt BBQ Invitation in addition to 2 default ones, a Grill Hook would spawn on the Map. Its Aura would be displayed to the Killer in a blue colour, instead of the usual red. Hooking a Survivor for the first time on such a Hook would grant the Killer one Survivor Chop , 50 of which would unlock the Pro-Pain Hammer customisation option for The Hillbilly.
In the early days of the game, each Killer had their own personal Hook Design that was used on every Map they played on.
Survivors quickly learnt that they could identify a Killer by taking a look at the design of the nearest Hook shortly after spawning. Thus Killers relying on the element of surprise were revealed too early to the Survivors and popular tactics, like to hold off on using one's Power if it made distinct noises to disguise one's identity for as long as possible, were nullified.
The Developers realised this and changed Hooks to no longer be tied to a Killer prior to the release of the Halloween Chapter. They were from then on bound to the Realm.
It can still be clearly seen that the three original Hooks were designed to have similar features to their respective Killers. Newer Hooks were designed to fit more into the general theme of their Realm.
|MacMillan Estate||Autohaven Wreckers||Coldwind Farm||Crotus Prenn Asylum||Haddonfield||Backwater Swamp|
|The Trapper's Hook: two steel bars tied together with some thick rope, reminiscent of his family's iron foundry.||The Wraith's Hook: wooden beams with bandages wound around and twigs and branches sticking out of them.||The Hillbilly's Hook: tinkered together from lots of scrap metal.||The Nurse's Hook: cast metal with intricate ornament and a broken birdcage on top of it.||The Shape's Hook: fashioned to the likes of fancy street lanterns found in the Haddonfield neighbourhood.||The Hag's Hook: a rotting, mushroom infested wooden beam with a thick wood branch attached to it with some rope.|
|Léry's Memorial Institute||Red Forest||Springwood||Winter Solstice (Event)||Gideon Meat Plant||Howling Grounds (Event)|
|The Doctor's Hook: fashioned from medical gear and machinery found throughout the medical Institute.||The Huntress' Hook: tinkered together from a couple of smaller branches, adorned with animal hide.||The Nightmare's Hook: put together from the plumbing of old-fashioned central heating units found in the Boiler Room, held together with chains.||The Winter Solstice Hook: The Trapper's Hook, hung with light ornaments in order to celebrate the Winter Event 2017. This model temporarily replaced all other Hooks on all Maps.||The Pig's Hook: a steel bar Hook adorned with many of Jigsaw's contraptions.||The Lunar Hook: a steel bar Hook with Chinese Firecrackers and decorated with Chinese symbols, celebrating the Lunar Year of the Dog. This model spawned when burning the Red Envelope Offering.|
|Scorching Summer BBQ (Event)||Yamaoka Estate|
|The Grill Hook: a steel bar Hook hung with Grills, a little spice tray, tongs, aluminium paper and a bowl of cooking Chilli at its foot. This model spawned when burning the BBQ Invitation Offering.||The Spirit's Hook: a wooden Hook mounted atop a carved stone pillar with a Japanese-style roof perched atop it.|
Patch 1.2.0 (PTB)
- Added the ability to unhook a Survivor from all possible angles. Also known as "Swivel Hooks".
- Skill Check chance for Hook Sabotage with a Toolbox remains at 15%.
- Skill Check chance for Hook Sabotage without a Toolbox (Saboteur) decreased from 15% to 10.5%.
Patch 2.0.0 (PTB)
- The amount of Meathooks spawned across the Map is now based on the total amount of Map Tiles divided by 3.
- There's an unreleased Hook model named Deer Hanger in the Game files. It's stored in a folder titled Improvised Hooks.
- As of Patch 2.2.0, unhooked Survivors are immune to any damage from the Killer until they regain control over their Character.
- It takes Survivors 1.2 seconds to go through the self-unhook animation.
- Prior to Patch 2.2.0, this took 2.4 seconds.
- It takes the Killer 1.5 seconds to hook a Survivor.
- Prior to Patch 2.3.0, this took 2 seconds.
- Early on in the Game's life, Survivors established a way to communicate a Killer's proximity to the Hook to their Survivor team mates.
- Hanging still from the Hook means something along the lines of: "The Killer is a safe distance away or preoccupied, you can come and get me."
- Spamming the self-unhook animation means something along the lines of: "The Killer is close-by and/or camping. Stay away and let me hang."
- This is also jokingly referred to as "Hook Gymnastics".
- Many newer Survivors believe that the Hook Gymnastics work the other way round and signal a camping Killer by hanging still and struggle once the Killer is away. This may lead other Survivors to just leave them hanging and not bothering with a rescue attempt. It's a good idea to point this mistake out in the after-game chat.
Each Map has a minimum and maximum amount of Hooks that may spawn on it:
- Hooks must have a minimal spawn distance of 24 metres in-between each other unless the minimum amount of spawns is not reached, then they may spawn closer together.
|The Outline of the Hook Asset|
|Bear Traps||Chests||Crows||Dark Mist||Exit Gates||Generators||Hatch|