|“||A ray of sunshine illuminated this cold and gray place - a ray in the form of a woman. I heard her before I saw her, a voice, more beautiful than I had encountered in some time, came drifting through the trees. While a lament might have been more suited to this sepulchral locale, she sang a song of joy, of hope and family. Her warm smile greeted any that joined her at the campfire and, just for moment, they were able to forget which realm they inhabited.
As quick as she was to make friends, I got the feeling that to cross her would be a mistake. To remain so positive and upbeat in such a place would require a will of iron. Perhaps less a ray of sunshine then, but a bolt of lightning? Brilliant light and great power that could split the world in two.''
|~ Unknown (Potentially Benedict Baker)|
|Daphné Poulin Gourdeau|
|Camper Female 06|
She was introduced as the Survivor of CHAPTER VIII: Curtain Call, a Chapter DLC released on 12 June 2018.
Kate Denson is a hopeful songbird, able to make the most of her surroundings.
Difficulty rating: Easy
(based on only using her Unique Perks)
One of Kate Denson's earliest memories was standing in front of her family, singing a song that she'd learned that morning at school, and watching smiles spread across their faces. Seeing how something as simple as a song could make people so happy was the moment when she knew what she wanted to do with her life.
She practised, learned the guitar as soon as she was big enough to reach over it, and was performing in front of crowds by the time she was eight years old. Her mother did everything she could to fulfil Kate's dreams, taking her all over their home state of Pennsylvania, then across the South, and even to Nashville itself.
Kate won folk music competitions and talent shows whenever she participated, but for her to win others had to lose, and that wasn't in her nature. She only wanted an outlet, a way to touch people's lives. To make them forget the worries of the world and just enjoy themselves, if only for a while.
With age came a new-found freedom. She bought a battered old Chevy truck and was able to travel around by herself, meeting fans and making new friends wherever she stopped. Hers wasn't a story of rock excess though: just the road, her guitar and maybe a good bourbon to end the day.
From sun-baked festivals to dark and cosy bars, people flocked to her voice and her self-penned songs of friendship, family, love and home.
These sentiments weren't just lip-service: she made sure to return home as often as she could, to help out in her community and entertain the local children with her tales of the wider world. She saw it as a way of giving back, of supporting others in the same way she had been.
It was home where she found most of her inspiration as well. She had always loved to take long walks in the woods around her town, exploring off the beaten track, finding a quiet spot to play and write her songs. She had a favourite location she returned to time and time again, a natural hollow, encircled by trees, that looked almost as if it had been blasted out of the rocks thousands of years ago.
Here she felt a strong connection to nature, and to the Earth itself. She let her mind be enveloped by the forest and it rewarded her with constant inspiration.
She picked up her guitar and played, her fingers dancing across the fretboard. The music that she made this time was unlike her usual uplifting tunes, being much more melancholy, even dark. Still, something compelled her to continue, to finish the song.
Around her, the leaves vibrated in unison with the guitar strings and the boughs of the trees lengthened, coalescing into a living form. Spider-like legs descended from the canopy above, grasping for her. Regaining her senses, she grabbed a rock and tried to beat them back, but their skin was hard as iron and the rock simply bounced off and skittered away.
The legs coiled like tendrils around her limbs and lifted her towards the darkness overhead. Fog rolled across the clearing, obscuring both Kate and the creature of nightmares that drew her up towards itself.
When the fog cleared, there was no sign of any struggle, or of life. Just an acoustic guitar, the scratch plate engraved with flowers; as well as the initials KD, inlaid in mother of pearl.
These are Perks that start off only appearing in Kate's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Dance With Me - Level 30
- Windows of Opportunity - Level 35
- Boil Over - Level 40
Once obtained, other Survivors will be able to find Kate's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards.
|Dance With Me||
When performing a fast vault or leaving a Locker in a sprint, you leave no Scratch Marks for 3 seconds.
Dance With Me has a cool-down of 60/50/40 seconds.
"Another show's off and runnin',
|Windows of Opportunity||
Unlocks potential in one's Aura-reading ability.
Auras of Pallets and vaults are revealed to you when within a range of 20 metres.
Windows of Opportunity has a cool-down of 30/25/20 seconds when vaulting or dropping a Pallet during a Chase.
"Rise and shine, work hard, carve out your name,
You are a battler and do everything to escape a foe's grasp.
Your struggling effects on the Killer are increased by 25/50/75 %.
You obscure the Killer's ability to see Hook Auras within 10/12/14 metres.
"Buck and Wild,
- Main article: Achievements
There is currently 1 Achievement which is related to Kate.
|Adept Kate||Escape with Kate Denson using only her Unique Perks: Dance With Me , Windows of Opportunity & Boil Over .|
Players can customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after Kate reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
Kate's attire includes:
|Midday Slip Dress||Common||A light, sleek bandana top with pattern paint.||CHAPTER VIII: Curtain Call|
|Free Songbird||Event||A sleek bandana top with a free spirit print. There's too many places to see to stay in one place. Break free, songbird!||Scorching Summer BBQ|
- Main article: Downloadable Content
Kate is currently part of 1 DLC Package:
- Kate Denson was originally supposed to be introduced in September 2017 in the LEATHERFACE™ DLC as a dev-original Survivor since The Cannibal did not have a specific antagonist.
- Due to time constraints with the A Nightmare on Elm Street™ DLC releasing just a month afterwards, and the Developers prioritising that, LEATHERFACE™, originally supposed to be a Chapter DLC, had to be downgraded to just a Paragraph DLC and Kate Denson was cut to be reused for a another Chapter down the line. Her Achievements were removed as well.
- Since her files remained in the Game after the release of LEATHERFACE™, data-miners suspected her as a potential dev-original Survivor for the A Nightmare on Elm Street™ DLC, as there were no files pointing to Quentin Smith at the time.
- After the release of A Nightmare on Elm Street™, it was unknown whether or not the Developers would eventually introduce her into the Game at all, until she was finally introduced with Curtain Call in June 2018.
- There were good indications for a re-implementation as the voice-overs for her, which take a lot of time to create, were all finished and implemented into the game files at the time.
- In the Developer Stream #78, a picture of the Daily Rituals in the Developer's internal build showed the "The Awakening" Ritual for Kate Denson, indicating that she was still part of their internal build.
- Kate Denson's original voice actress up into the 2.0.0a Public Test Build was Marie-Michelle Do, a public relations employee at Behaviour Interactive.
- Her voice actress was changed for the live build as people complained about her scream upon being hooked, the official reason though being that Marie-Michelle Do was always meant as a WIP voice, which is very unlikely the true reason, seen as how much work voice-acting is.
- Her new voice actress is Daphné Poulin Gourdeau, a financial analyst employee at Behvaiour Interactive.
For more go to Kate's Gallery