Overview[edit | edit source]
Madness affects the sanity of the Survivors and affects/hinders their ability of performing certain interactions.
Madness Tiers[edit | edit source]
Madness comes in 3 Tiers, Madness I, II & III. Chevrons indicate the current Madness-tier to the affected Survivor. Madness Tiers are fixed, meaning that once it tiers-up, there is no way to bring it back down, with the exception of Madness III, which can be lowered back to Madness II by Snapping Out Of It.
Tier I[edit | edit source]
Madness I affects the Survivor with the following Afflictions:
- Causes Survivors to scream once, revealing their Aura to The Doctor.
- 33% chance for a randomly placed Skill Check .
Tier II[edit | edit source]
Madness II affects the Survivor with the following Afflictions:
- All afflictions of Tier I.
- 66% chance for a randomly placed Skill Check .
- Causes Survivors to experience shared Doctor Hallucinations.
Tier III[edit | edit source]
Madness III affects the Survivor with the following Afflictions:
- All afflictions of Tier II.
- 99% chance for a randomly placed Skill Check .
- Causes Survivors to scream periodically, revealing their Aura to The Doctor.
- Shared Doctor Hallucinations intensify, allowing The Doctor to read their Aura .
- Survivors are prevented from performing any of the following interactions:
- Survivors are also prevented from using their Items .
Additional Afflictions[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Carter's Spark Add-ons.
Depending on The Doctor's choice of Add-on load-out, Survivors can have additional afflictions based on their Madness Tier.
The possible types of additional Afflictions are:
- Illusionary Pallets: induced by the "Order" Add-on Series.
- Fake Terror Radius: induced by the "Calm" Add-on Series.
- Longer-lasting, more frequent Illusionary Doctors: induced by the "Restraint" Add-on Series.
- Fake Red Stain: induced by the "Discipline" Add-on Series.
- Forced Exhaustion: induced by the "Obedience" - Carter's Notes Add-on.
All of the above can be induced one-by-one by the Iridescent King Add-on.
Gaining Madness[edit | edit source]
Madness is gained in two different ways, both require The Doctor to be in Treatment mode:
Shock Therapy Attack[edit | edit source]
A Shock Therapy attack is The Doctor's secondary form of attack and the main use of his Power. He will charge an attack and shoot an electric spark into the ground, which a second later will spread out and electrify the ground in front of him, shocking every Survivor that happens to be within the shock wave and thus considerably increasing their Madness. The shock wave will travel through walls and obstacles and is only blocked by Lockers . A shocked Survivor will temporarily (for 2.5 seconds) be unable to perform any interactions with their surroundings, preventing them for example from vaulting a Window or vaulting/dropping a Pallet .
Static Field[edit | edit source]
The Static Field is a passive ability of The Doctor's Power, bound directly to his Terror Radius. Whenever he's in Treatment mode, Survivors within his Terror Radius will see small sparks at their feet and hear a buzzing sound. This passive exposure to Madness will slowly and steadily increase the Survivor's Madness. This ability is directly bound to the range of his Terror Radius, meaning that Perks affecting the range of the Terror Radius, will also affect the range of the Static Field.
The only way to prevent the passive Madness build-up from happening is hiding inside a Locker or leaving The Doctor's Terror Radius as quickly as possible.
Lowering Madness[edit | edit source]
The Madness gauge can be lowered in three different ways (excluding Snapping Out of It):
- Crouching down.
- Not interacting with anything for a prolonged period of time.
- Hiding inside a Locker .
- This will also prevent any Madness gain when in The Doctor's Static Field.
Snapping Out of It[edit | edit source]
This is a unique action that is only available on Madness III and will reduce the Madness Tier to Madness II.
Snapping Out of It is a requirement for the affected Survivor to regain their ability to perform any interaction as Madness III prevents any interaction.
It is also advised due to the periodical screams and Aura-reveals, giving away their location to The Doctor.
Snapping Out of It is considered as a Healing Action and takes 12 seconds to perform.
- This makes it reveal the Survivor's Aura to a Doctor using A Nurse's Calling if he is in range. For Survivors, Botany Knowledge will speed up the process.
- Due to being on Madness III, Snapping Out of It has a 99 % chance of having randomly placed Skill Checks across the screen.
- Failing any Skill Check will reset the progress and make the Survivor scream, revealing their Aura to The Doctor.
Videos[edit | edit source]
|Shock Therapy Attack||Madness Tier-Up: Scream & Aura-reveal|
|"Order" : Illusionary Pallets||"Discipline" : Fake Red Stain|