Frederick "Freddy" Charles Krueger
|“||“This place plays tricks on your mind…constantly I question whether I dream or if I am awake. This most recent horrid ghoul seems to bridge that gap – between the states of being awake or asleep. I saw him hunting another poor soul, someone who was not as lucky as me. A man with a hat and a claw clad hand, a scarred man of sorts. He spotted me and what actually happened next is still a mystery to me. Dreams took over, and I was sure to die. But I woke up. Not like in the manner where I awake at the campfire, but instead I just woke up…inside this wretched forest, with memories of nightmares within. I am now afraid to sleep, but also to stay awake.”||„|
|~ Unknown (Potentially Benedict Baker)|
|Frederick "Freddy" Charles Krueger|
|115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|A Nightmare on Elm Street™|
|Slasher Character 10|
He was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER VI: A Nightmare on Elm Street™, a Chapter DLC released on 26 October 2017.
He originates from the 2010 remake of the Horror Movie of the same name, A Nightmare on Elm Street.
The Nightmare is a nightmare Killer, passively pulling Survivors into his Dream World where Survivors are vulnerable to his Dream Abilities. His Dream Projection ability allows him quickly appear across the map and put pressure onto Survivors.
His Perks revolve around stopping Survivors from fleeing. They will make surviving a real pain for all, and managing to escape the Hunting Ground won't be easy.
Difficulty rating: Intermediate (Community) / Hard (Developer)
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
Even while he lived, Freddy Krueger was a creature of nightmares for those who truly knew him. Hiding behind a mask of warmth and friendliness, Freddy's actual temperament was known only to his victims. When those victims were finally heard, the parents of Springwood tracked Freddy down and took the law into their own hands. They thought that fire had rid them of a monster that night, that their children were finally safe, but evil as strong as his has a way of surviving.
Years passed, the horror was buried, the victims mercifully forgot. Then, somehow, Freddy returned, and dreams became nightmares once again.
Freddy focused his anger on those he felt had wronged him, building up to his one true obsession, Nancy Holbrook. But he underestimated her strength and resourcefulness. Together with her friend Quentin Smith, she managed to weaken Freddy, mutilating him and leaving him for dead once more.
Death didn't want Freddy the first time he encountered it, why did they think it would take him now? He emerged once more, consumed with vengeance. Then he turned his sights on the boy who had blocked his path to Nancy, his number one.
Freddy invaded Quentin's dreams, terrorising him night after night, until his strength and defences would be at their lowest. When the time was right, he forced the boy to return to the dark reflection of Badham Preschool. Here he would have his final revenge.
Freddy stalked the boy through the school's halls. He took his time, savouring every moment of the hunt. This was what he enjoyed the most, the smell of their sweat in the air, the ragged gasps of their terrified breath. They were his to toy with.
There was the boy, at the end of a long corridor. Too tired and scared to run anymore? Resigned to his fate? Freddy closed in, arms wide, claws raking the wall. Their tips traced along a pipe, the metallic shrieking only adding to the boy’s apprehension.
A shower of sparks rained on the ground, and into the liquid that covered the tiled floor. A blue flame blossomed and quickly engulfed the room.
The boy took flight as Freddy burst from the flames in a fury. Rooms and walls raced past in a blur until they were in Freddy's basement. There would be no escape from here.
Slowly Freddy closed in on the boy. His fear was so strong now that Freddy could almost taste it, but his eyes burned with a defiant hatred that was almost admirable.
Freddy drew back his claws.
Then Freddy felt another presence with him; something old, powerful and dark. A miasma enveloped him and the only sensation was a sound like wooden beams flexing and creaking in the distance. The echoing groan of metal crushed against metal. Something arcane and unknowable, half-way between language and pure terror.
A moment of falling and spinning and then Freddy was back in the school. But not his school. It looked the same, but it felt different. His powers were tempered in some ways and focused in others. The boy had gone for now, but another prey walked the hallways. Some would be inconsequential; others would become his new favourites. All would fall before his claws.
The Nightmare's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Nightmare's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Fire Up - Level 30
- Remember Me - Level 35
- Blood Warden - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Nightmare's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards.
The increased pressure of losing your preys fills you with anger and gives you unsuspected motivation. Each time the Survivors complete repairs on a Generator, Fire Up grows in power.
"Now why don't you just fucking die?" — Freddy Krueger
You become obsessed with one Survivor.
The Obsession is not affected by Remember Me.
The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
"You don't remember? You must. You're my number one, and you'll never wake up again." — Freddy Krueger
Once per Trial, hooking a Survivor while Blood Warden is active calls upon The Entity to block both Exits for all Survivors for 30/40/60 seconds.
"This is my world. And you can't ever leave." — Freddy Krueger
Weapon: Clawed Glove
Clawed Glove is the Primary Weapon of The Nightmare. A homemade device, crafted to torture and kill.
Power: Dream Demon
Death won't accept him and thus he remains, a calamity, indisputable master of his victims' nightmares. The Nightmare passively puts Survivors to sleep over 60 seconds, after which they enter the Dream World.
- Awake Survivors hear the Terror Radius and see The Nightmare from within 16 meters.
- The Nightmare appears intermittently to awake Survivors from 16 meters to 32 meters and is invisible to awake Survivors beyond that.
- Hold the Power Button (Default: M2) to place a Dream Snare on the ground directly in front of The Nightmare
- It will afflict Survivors who step in it with the Hindered Status Effect, slowing them down while they remain in the trap and for a short duration after leaving it.
- Hold the Active Ability Button (Default: LCTRL) to perform a Dream Projection and teleport to a Generator in your view.
- Releasing the button early will cancel the action.
- For each Survivor in the Dream World, the cooldown of the Dream Projection is reduced by 15%.
- Once in the Dream World, Survivors hear a lullaby instead of the Terror Radius and can be affected by Dream Snares.
- Survivors can wake up by failing Skill Checks , finding an awake Survivor to perform the Wake Up action, or by using the alarm clocks found within the environment.
- Each successive Wake Up action takes twice as long to perform.
- Using the Alarm Clocks will give Survivors 30 seconds before they start falling asleep again.
"You have nothing to worry about. This won't hurt one... little... bit." — Freddy Krueger
Add-ons for Dream Demon
|Wool Shirt||A small boy's orange and yellow striped shirt. Identified with a sewn name tag to "Jesse".
|Sheep Block||A white and blue wooden block depicting two woolly Lambs grazing and the letter "S".
|Kid's Drawing||An unattributed drawing clearly crafted by a young child.
|Garden Rake||A small claw rake, a must have tool for any accomplished gardener.
|Prototype Claws||A home-made tool to facilitate bush trimming.
|Outdoor Rope||Sturdy outdoor rope, handy to tie up anything.
|Nancy's Sketch||A crude and bold sketch made with Fusain, signed by Nancy H.
|Green Dress||A little girl's green dress with a silky white ribbon.
|Cat Block||A white and purple wooden block depicting a sleeping Cat and the letter "C".
|Unicorn Block||A white and red wooden block depicting a prancing Unicorn and the letter "U".
|Paint Thinner||A tin of a highly volatile and inflammable material.
|Nancy's Masterpiece||A painting of a Character, made by Nancy Holbrook at Badham and kept as a treasure memory.
|Jump Rope||A long Double Dutch jump rope, stained with many years of use.
|Blue Dress||A little girl's pale blue dress with white lace which's front is ruined by large cuts.
While Survivors are in the Dream World:
|Pill Bottle||An empty pill bottle which once contained a medicine called "Zoneral".
|Swing Chains||Rusty, but sturdy chains used to securely attach a swing seat.
|Class Photo||A large photograph taken at Badham Preschool showing the cheerful class of 94-95.
|"Z" Block||A deeply scratched and burnt wooden block which's only recognisable feature is the letter "Z".
|Red Paint Brush||A large paint brush, wet with crimson paint.
|Black Box||A black cardboard box filled with photographs.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Nightmare.
|Adept Nightmare||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Nightmare using only his Unique Perks: Fire Up , Remember Me & Blood Warden .|
|Dream Master||With The Nightmare , pull a total of 200 Survivors into the Dream World.|
NOTE: In the console version, Dream Master is called Dream Demon.
Players may customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Nightmare reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
The Nightmare's attire includes:
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Nightmare is currently part of 1 DLC package:
- You can fake the Dream Projection by channeling and then canceling it, which will make the Generator spew blood and the Nightmare's Husk appear. This can scare the Survivors off the Generator as well as make them run towards you.
- You can place Dream Snares mid-chase to hinder looping Survivors, who will have a more difficult time looping if they don't leave the tile.
- If you have either the Prototype Claws or the Paint Thinner Add-ons, you can also use Dream Pallets to track Survivors. If a Survivor drops a Dream Pallet outside of a Chase to prevent someone from thinking they are real Pallets, you'll see their Aura.
- Keep an eye out for any Generators that may be close to your location during a chase. You can commit to teleport to a Generator that may spawn in structures like jungle gyms and the Killer Shack. This will force the survivor to choose between staying in the loop or leaving it. If they leave, you can simply cancel the teleport to follow them. If they decide to stay in the structure, you are now closer to them and can potentially get a hit.
- If there is a Generator and a Pallet in the structure you're at during a loop, you can force the survivor to put the pallet down and then begin to teleport to the generator. The survivor will have to either leave the loop or vault over the pallet. If they vault the Pallet, cancel the teleport and hit them. If leave, just cancel the Dream Projection and chase after them.
- You can force survivors off of a two-story structure or building ledge without going up to the second floor if there is a Generator there. Start to teleport and wait to see if the survivor falls to the ground; you may have to wait until the last few moments of the teleport when the husk appears. If the survivor does fall to the ground, quickly cancel the teleport and potentially hit them. If they stay in the building or go the other way, also cancel the Dream Projection and chase after them.
- Look for Generators ahead of fleeing Survivors. You can teleport to the Generator to cut them off and potentially hit them. If they change directions, assuming you are going to teleport to this Generator, just cancel it and hit them.
- Sleeping survivors will have an especially hard time keeping track of you during this maneuver due to Freddy's non-directional lullaby.
- For additional and more detailed information about the Character of Frederick "Freddy" Charles Krueger from the A Nightmare on Elm Street™ franchise, please refer to the A Nightmare on Elm Street™ Wiki Article
- Though the character was popularised by Robert Englund in the original film series, his appearance in Dead by Daylight is based on that of the 2010 film reboot, where he was portrayed by Jackie Earle Haley.
- Freddy's corresponding Survivor is Quentin Smith, a Character who was created specifically for the 2010 film.
- The Nightmare's Memento Mori is reference to the way how he killed Jesse in the film.
- The Nightmare's Memento Mori animation is the second one in which the Survivor attempts to get up on their own.
- The first one was the Memento Mori animation of the Cannibal .
- Any sleeping Survivor will have a cloud around their Status Icon in the HUD, indicating them as being asleep and in the Dream World.
- With the rework of Freddy's ability, players can also now see a countdown timer of when each survivor will fall asleep, unless they are attacked by the killer.
- The Nightmare breathes the quietest out of all the Killers, with his breathing being similar in volume to that of Survivors.
- Unlike other Killers, who simply step over Windows when vaulting, Freddy grabs the window ledge with both hands and lifts himself over, this is due to Freddy being much smaller in height than most other Killers in the Game.
- The Pig is another example of a killer who has this same animation.
- The Nightmare was the fifth licensed Character to be introduced to Dead by Daylight alongside Quentin Smith.
- The Nightmare was the first Killer to receive a major rework of his Power.
- A profound breakdown of this can been found in the Patch 3.1.0 notes
For more go to the Nightmare's Gallery
Sketches Of The Nightmare And The Cannibal