23 June to 14 July 2020
|“||She inherited incredible fury from her ancestors. The wrath that flows through her veins is her legacy. The terrible pain she suffered set it off. Swift and lethal, The Spirit exacts her revenge endlessly.||„|
|~ Unknown (Potentially Benedict Baker)|
Alt. Attack =
|110 % | 4.4 m/s|
Alt. Mov. Speed
|176 % | 7.04 m/s (Phase Walk)|
|Gabrielle Murphy (Lead Community Manager)|
She was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER IX: Shattered Bloodline, a Chapter DLC released on 18 September 2018.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 The Spirit's Perks
- 4 Load-out
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Customisation
- 7 DLC
- 8 Trivia
The Spirit is a phase-walking Killer, able to catch Survivors off-guard with her traversal Power, Yamaoka's Haunting. Her Power allows her to teleport from one place to another without being seen.
She inherited incredible fury from her ancestors. The wrath that flows through her veins is her legacy. The terrible pain she suffered set it off. Swift and lethal, The Spirit exacts her revenge endlessly.
Difficulty rating: Hard
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play her and use her Power effectively)
- Additional Lore can be found in Tome II - Reckoning: Steeped in Blood.
Rin was the only child of the Yamaoka family. She was raised in the dusty halls of a traditional house in Kagawa. She studied Education at Takamatsu, a private university, which weighed heavily on her family's shaky finances. Her mother got ill that year and the bills started piling up. Rin worked part-time in a futile attempt to help lighten the load.
Her father faced a debt that grew without end. He started working double-shifts in hopes of obtaining a promotion. That's when he started losing sleep. A dark whisper would keep him awake all night, reminding him of his hopeless situation. Exhausted, he started to lose grasp of reality. Fighting to deny what the voice whispered at night, Rin's father made a desperate move. He met with his superior and explained his situation. He begged for a bonus, an advance, time-off---anything.
His request was denied. The company had launched a defective production line that was costing them dearly. Someone had to be held accountable and Rin's father fitted the bill perfectly. He was fired after twenty-two years of service.
That evening, Rin came home from work. She'd stayed late to entertain customers that lingered at the restaurant. As she parked her bike in the shed, she heard her mother's scream come from the house.
She rushed in, climbing up the stairs to her parents' room. There she found bits and pieces of her mother on the floor. Her limbs were clean-cut, tangled up in an unnatural position. Her breasts were sliced up, revealing her rib cage, which was cracked open. Rin gagged.
A sharp Katana came crashing down. Rin blocked the blade, which bit into her bare forearm. The shock of recognition interrupted her pain: her father was wielding the Katana with a stoic expression. She cried out to make him stop, but he slashed her arm again.
She rushed off and slid on the blood-smeared floor. Using the door frame as support, she raised herself up. The Katana ripped through the wall, cleaving her other arm. She screamed in pain as she limped into the hallway, only to be met by her father's blade.
She stepped back, trembling, as she held together the soft loose flesh of her abdomen. Images of her mother's tangled limbs flashed before her eyes.
Rin charged at her father, making him stumble back. He punched her torn abdomen and she recoiled in pain. As she struggled to get back up, he slashed her thigh, making her collapse on the floor.
As she crawled towards the stairs, he grabbed her hair and yanked her against a partition. The glass shattered on impact and she fell through, landing one floor down.
She heard footsteps somewhere above her. With effort, she moved, worming her way into a sea of broken glass. The shards gnawed at her, ripping her flesh. He had to be stopped. He would not get away with what he'd done to her--with what he'd done to her mother.
Coughing up blood, her chin grazed the glass, adding to the bleeding. A low-pitched heartbeat started to ring in her ears. Her body felt so heavy she could no longer move.
The ground shook with her father's footsteps. She knew she was not going to make it, but she no longer cared. She would make him pay, in this life or the next.
A dark Fog slowly veiled her eyes, but it could not subdue her rage. She would not rest--not yet. The darkness whispered, promising blood and revenge.
An oath was made and Rin closed her eyes.
The Spirit's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Spirit's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Spirit Fury - Level 30
- Hex: Haunted Ground - Level 35
- Rancor - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Spirit's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards.
After breaking 4/3/2 Pallets, the next time you are stunned by a Pallet, The Entity will instantly break it. You still suffer from the stun effect penalty.
"Fury is her blood."
|Hex: Haunted Ground||
Two trapped Hex Totems will spawn in the Trial.
The remaining trapped Hex Totem immediately becomes a Dull Totem.
"Her home became profane."
You become obsessed with one Survivor.
Each time a Generator is completed, all Survivors' locations are revealed to you for 3 seconds.
Once all Generators are completed, the Obsession has the Exposed Status Effect and the Killer can kill the Obsession.
You can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
Weapon: Shattered Katana
A single-edged straight sword handed down from generation to generation. The blade shattered after spilling the blood of her kin.
Power: Yamaoka's Haunting
|“||Yamaoka is the name she carries from her ancestors, who unleashed hell on the battlefield.
The Spirit draws her power from their wrath, haunting the living as retribution for her suffering.
The Spirit can use Yamaoka's Haunting to enter the Ethereal Plane and re-appear at a new location.
Press and hold the Power button to charge Yamaoka's Haunting. The Spirit will depart her physical body, leaving behind a stationary 'Husk'.
While Yamaoka's Haunting is active:
- The Spirit may traverse freely to a new location, moving at a faster rate for a short duration (5 seconds). She is still confined to movement within the physical environments and surroundings.
- The Spirit leaves the physical plane, losing sight of all Survivors. She can, however, still sense the Scratch Marks they leave throughout the Trial Grounds.
- The Spirit will produce an audible cue at her current location.
- Once Yamaoka's Haunting has elapsed, The Spirit retains her speed boost for a brief moment and her 'Husk' fades away.
Using Yamaoka's Haunting depletes The Spirit's Power gauge. It will automatically replenish over time (15 seconds).
The Power gauge must be fully replenished before Yamaoka's Haunting can be triggered again.
- Yamaoka's Haunting is a Charges-based Power:
- Has 5 Charges at default.
- Consumes 1 Charge/second.
- Recharges at a rate of 0.333 Charges/second.
- Default Phase Walk duration is 5 seconds.
- Default Power recovery is 15 seconds.
- Default Power activation time is 1.5 seconds.
- The post-Phase-Walk speed boost is maintained for 0.5 seconds.
- The Spirit's Lunge range is also increased during that time.
- Survivors within the Terror Radius of the Husk will not hear the phasing sound. Survivors outside of that range will hear the sound, but will be unable to determine its direction.
- Survivors will not hear The Spirit's breathing sound during a phase-walk.
- The Spirit can still hear any sounds the Survivors produce, be that from interactions with Props or sounds in general.
- The Spirit can see the invisible Survivors' effects on the environment, such as grass or corn moving.
- Yamaoka's Haunting affects Perks in different ways based on the fact that The Spirit basically exists in two places at the same time whenever she is phase-walking.
- Spine Chill will activate based on The Spirit's ethereal form and not her Husk's location.
- Perks affected by The Spirit's Terror Radius, such as Diversion and Stake Out , are activated by the Terror Radius of both her Husk and her ethereal form.
- Perks that reveal The Spirit's Aura will reveal her Husk and not her ethereal form.
- The Spirit cannot see Auras while in her ethereal form. However, she still receives loud noise notifications.
Add-ons for Yamaoka's Haunting
- Add-ons support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.
|Zōri||A comfortable pair of flat sandals that can easily be slipped on and off.
|Shiawase Amulet||A Talisman that makes one happy and enthusiastic.
|Origami Crane||One of the one thousand orizuru for your wish to come true.
|Gifted Bamboo Comb||A narrow tooth bamboo comb to gently untangle dishevelled hair.
|White Hair Ribbon||A silken bow to tame wild hair.
|Rin's Broken Watch||A wristwatch with a shattered glass. The name "Rin" is scribbled on the wristband.
|Muddy Sports Day Cap||A muddy sport cap with a High School logo. Identified with a sewn name tag to "Rin".
|Kaiun Talisman||A Talisman to get luck on your side.
|Juniper Bonsai||Dark blue-green foliage bonsai tree. Once the symbol of Yamaoka family tradition.
|Rusty Flute||A rusty transverse flute with a haunting sound.
|Katsumori Talisman||A Talisman that brings swift success.
|Katana Tsuba||The handguard of an ancestral blade. Crafted for the Yamaoka family.
|Dirty Uwabaki||A handy pair of indoor shoes.
|Bloody Hair Brooch||A hair brooch crusted with dried blood.
|Yakuyoke Amulet||A powerful Talisman to protect your endeavours from being hindered by suspicious circumstances.
|Wakizashi Saya||The scabbard of an ancestral blade. Once crafted for the Yamaoka family.
|Prayer Beads Bracelet||A powerful bracelet that reads a sacred mantra.
|Dried Cherry Blossom||A crumbling, dried cherry flower. Once the symbol of mortality.
|Mother-Daughter Ring||A silver ring engraved with "for my precious daughter".
|Father's Glasses||A pair of dad glasses that belonged to an overworked salary man.
- Main article: Achievements
There are currently 2 Achievements related to The Spirit.
|Adept Spirit||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Spirit using only her Unique Perks: Spirit Fury , Hex: Haunted Ground & Rancor .|
|Conniption||With The Spirit , use Yamaoka's Haunting to down a total of 30 Survivors|
Players may customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Spirit reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
The Spirit's attire includes:
|Frosty Eyes||Uncommon||Heart chilling eyes of the cold blooded.
"Have a Wonderful Winter 2018-2019!" - The Dead by Daylight Team
|Winter Solstice 2018|
|Icon||Name||Body||Rarity||Description||Event||Exclusive to Event Participation|
|Crown of Entity the Great||Event||A crown emanating a festive and ominous aura created by the Entity's biggest fan.||Fourth Year Anniversary||Yes|
|In the Family||Common||Darkness runs in the family. Go home, if you dare.||Smeared Tears (Rotten)
Shredded Sarashi (Rotten)
Shattered Katana (Rotten)
|In the Family||Common||Darkness runs in the family. Go home, if you dare.||Smeared Tears (Muddy)
Shredded Sarashi (Muddy)
Shattered Katana (Muddy)
|In the Family||Common||Darkness runs in the family. Go home, if you dare.||Smeared Tears (Ice-Cold)
Shredded Sarashi (Ice-Cold)
Shattered Katana (Ice-Cold)
|In the Family||Common||Darkness runs in the family. Go home, if you dare.||Smeared Tears (Bloody)
Shredded Sarashi (Bloody)
Shattered Katana (Bloody)
|In the Family||Common||Darkness runs in the family. Go home, if you dare.||Smeared Tears (Ashy)
Shredded Sarashi (Ashy)
Shattered Katana (Ashy)
|Onna Shibaraku||Uncommon||Embody the tale of superhuman strength and bravery.||Kumadori
|Dark Manifest||Uncommon||The night whispers in your ears as you feel claws grazing your skin. Bear the markings of evil.||Ghastly Legacy
|Drowned||Uncommon||Gasping for air and only getting water. But your vengeance awaits. Your focus shifts: surviving is inevitable and so is your retaliation.||Cold Dread
|Junior Student||Rare||A uniform dating from when her mother was healthy and her father employed. These days are long gone.||Woolen Hairband
Okinawan Blade (Mossy)
|Hit the Books||675|
|Senior Student||Rare||A uniform dating from when her mother was healthy and her father employed. These days are long gone.||Chic Headband
Okinawan Blade (Frozen)
|Hit the Books||675|
|Top Student||Rare||A uniform dating from when her mother was healthy and her father employed. These days are long gone.||Soiled Headband
Okinawan Blade (Tarnished)
|Hit the Books||810|
|Awakened Origin||Very Rare||Since defeating her opponent in a sparring match, it had been bubbling up inside her. She couldn't shove it back down. Confidence? Strength? Yes, but something more.||Teeth of Wrath
|The Reckoning||Very Rare||When the moon hangs low, the haunting begins.||Hessian Head
Root and Branch
|Tattered Tradition||Very Rare||Once the height of luxury and elegance, now a testament to years of woe.||Loose Shimada
Pierced Silk Kimono
|Blazing Lineage||Event||She emerged from captivity when the serum sparked her ancestral rage, making her blood boil with fury.||Fused Demon
|Smeared Tears (Rotten)||Common||The Spirit drifts into the night, her wild hair smoothed by the midnight wind.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Smeared Tears (Muddy)||Common||The Spirit drifts into the night, her wild hair smoothed by the midnight wind.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Smeared Tears (Ice-Cold)||Common||The Spirit drifts into the night, her wild hair smoothed by the midnight wind.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Smeared Tears (Bloody)||Common||The Spirit drifts into the night, her wild hair smoothed by the midnight wind.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Smeared Tears (Ashy)||Common||The Spirit drifts into the night, her wild hair smoothed by the midnight wind.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Kumadori||Uncommon||A dramatic makeup for a tasteful revenge.||Onna Shibaraku||Surging Rage||100|
|Ghastly Legacy||Uncommon||The oath you made cannot be broken.||Dark Manifest||Surging Rage||100|
|Cold Dread||Uncommon||Glassy, empty eyes and blue lips: the effects of Death's embrace.||Drowned||Surging Rage||100|
|Woolen Headband||Rare||A short, messy bob decorated with a patterned headband.||Junior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Chic Headband||Rare||A short, messy bob decorated with a patterned headband.||Senior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Soiled Headband||Rare||A short, messy bob decorated with a patterned headband.||Top Student||Hit the Books||300|
|Teeth of Wrath||Very Rare||When she closed her eyes, she saw blood. She heard screams. And she was the one causing it. A pale spirit filled with the rage of her ancestors. And the pain.||Awakened Origin||Yamaoka Curse||400|
|Messy Maru Mage||Very Rare||A voluminous bun made of waxed hair for a classy rampage.||The Reckoning||Onryō||400|
|Loose Shimada||Very Rare||An elaborate hairstyle that is held together with pins, combs and supernatural energies.||Tattered Tradition||Cursed Kimono||400|
|Fused Demon||Event||An eerie face erupted from her flesh, revealing her birthright||Blazing Lineage||Hallowed Catalyst||400|
|Shredded Sarashi (Rotten)||Common||A rotten bandage is all that is left of what she wore on that tragic night.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shredded Sarashi (Muddy)||Common||A muddy bandage is all that is left of what she wore on that tragic night.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shredded Sarashi (Ice-Cold)||Common||A ice-cold bandage is all that is left of what she wore on that tragic night.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shredded Sarashi (Bloody)||Common||A bloody bandage is all that is left of what she wore on that tragic night.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shredded Sarashi (Ashy)||Common||A ashy bandage is all that is left of what she wore on that tragic night.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Kagemasa||Uncommon||An eye for an eye.||Onna Shibaraku||Surging Rage||100|
|Pure Evil||Uncommon||Awaken anew in Realms beyond belief.||Dark Manifest||Surging Rage||100|
|Soaked Sarashi||Uncommon||Drenched and left out in the cold, your seething hate keeps you going.||Drowned||Surging Rage||100|
|Seifuku (Plaid)||Rare||Dating from her high school days, this uniform is accessorised with a shoestring necklace and a pair of loose, glass-filled socks.||Junior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Seifuku (Striped)||Rare||Dating from her high school days, this uniform is accessorised with a shoestring necklace and a pair of loose, glass-filled socks.||Senior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Seifuku (Navy)||Rare||Dating from her high school days, this uniform is accessorised with a shoestring necklace and a pair of loose, glass-filled socks.||Top Student||Hit the Books||300|
|Legacy Armor||Very Rare||She inherited the armor of a bloodthirsty ancestor who slew farmers and laid to waste thousands of acres of farmlands.||Awakened Origin||Yamaoka Curse||400|
|Ragged Burial Kimono||Very Rare||Proper attire for a proper ceremony. No one gets out alive.||The Reckoning||Onryō||400|
|Pierced Silk Kimono||Very Rare||The silk is interwoven with gold threads, creating a scintillation that can be seen, even through bloodstains.||Tattered Tradition||Cursed Kimono||400|
|Swollen Lumps||Event||Her flesh flared up with pustules and power.||Blazing Lineage||Hallowed Catalyst||400|
|Shattered Katana (Rotten)||Common||A single-edged straight sword handed down from generation to generation. The blade shattered after spilling the blood of her kin.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shattered Katana (Muddy)||Common||A single-edged straight sword handed down from generation to generation. The blade shattered after spilling the blood of her kin.||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shattered Katana (Ice-Cold)||Common||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shattered Katana (Bloody)||Common||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Shattered Katana (Ashy)||Common||In the Family||Spirit Aberrations||50|
|Tomokirimaru Blade||Uncommon||A legendary sword used as a tool for usurpation, howling for blood.||Onna Shibaraku||Surging Rage||100|
|Corrupted Katana||Uncommon||The blade is engraved with secrets in a language unknown to you. But if you come closer...||Dark Manifest||Surging Rage||100|
|Sunken Katana||Uncommon||An ancestral blade abandoned at the bottom of a pond.||Drowned||Surging Rage||100|
|Okinawan Blade (Mossy)||Rare||They say this precious blade came from the sea. Forged from iron sands, this long, sharp blade was kept in the Yamaoka family for generations.||Junior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Okinawan Blade (Frozen)||Rare||They say this precious blade came from the sea. Forged from iron sands, this long, sharp blade was kept in the Yamaoka family for generations.||Senior Student||Hit the Books||250|
|Okinawan Blade (Tarnished)||Rare||They say this precious blade came from the sea. Forged from iron sands, this long, sharp blade was kept in the Yamaoka family for generations.||Top Student||Hit the Books||300|
|Ancestral Blade||Very Rare||When she held the weapon, she felt a surge of fury, a rage he wanted to unleash.||Awakened Origin||Yamaoka Curse|| 400
|Vengeful Ōdachi||Very Rare||This traditional great sword was used as a ceremonial object before falling into your hands.||The Reckoning||Onryō||400|
|Jagged Wakizashi||Very Rare||Whether the blade's edges were torn by design, or years of use, none can tell.||Tattered Tradition||Cursed Kimono||400|
|Putrid Katana||Event||Her ancient blade oozed with nectar, forged by serum and steel.||Blazing Lineage||Hallowed Catalyst||400|
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Spirit is currently part of 1 DLC package:
- The Spirit is the fifth female killer.
- The Entity originally chose Rin's father as a new Killer.
- During the confrontation between Rin and her father, The Entity sensed greater potential in Rin's rage over her father's despair and decided to choose her instead to become a new Killer.
- The Spirit is directly related to The Oni, who is a paternal ancestor of hers.
- The Spirit occasionally performs a passive phase, leaving a trail of "still images" behind her, confusing Survivors about her movement.
- The Spirit is the first Killer to break Pallets and damage Generators with her Weapon.
- The Spirit is also the only Killer to have separate animation for either interaction.
- In the Teaser First Cut, The Spirit is voiced by Isabelle Mocquard.
- In the Game, The Spirit is voiced by Gabrielle Murphy, also known as the Community Manager not_Queen.
- The Spirit is one of the very few Killers featuring a complex range of facial expressions.
- The Developers programmed a special facial rig that is unique to her, allowing her to show a very wide range of emotions.
- In a stream show-casing the development of The Spirit, it was mentioned that she cost the developers about 30,000 Dollars to create.
- The Spirit resembles an "Onryō", a ghost in Japanese culture, believed to be able to enter the world of the living and cause pain in order to fulfil their need of vengeance.
- The Spirit does not step, but rather lifts herself through Windows to get to the other side.
- Originally, if a Survivor watched her vault a Window, they would just see her standing in front of it, then teleport to the other side.
- As of Patch 3.4.0, The Spirit received a standard third person vault animation.
- Originally, if a Survivor watched her vault a Window, they would just see her standing in front of it, then teleport to the other side.
- The Spirit is one of few Killers to have a unique Hatch-closing animation.
- According to Louis McLean, The Spirit did not have her bandages at some point during development.
- They were ultimately added as the non-bandaged Spirit was "distracting" and "it [might have] caused a stir in some countries".
- Takamatsu University, the college that Rin Yamaoka attended, exists in real life. It is located in Takamatsu, Kagawa Prefecture, Japan.
- Since Takamatsu University was established 1996, it can be argued that the Spirit's backstory happened thereafter.
- The Spirit is the first Killer to have a power gauge.
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS IV-VII||CHAPTERS VIII-XI||PARAGRAPH III|
+ CHAPTERS XIII-XIV
|Dwight Fairfield||Nea Karlsson||Feng Min||Kate Denson||Ash Williams|
|Meg Thomas||Laurie Strode||David King||Adam Francis||Nancy Wheeler|
|Claudette Morel||Ace Visconti||Quentin Smith||Jeff Johansen||Steve Harrington|
|Jake Park||Bill Overbeck||David Tapp||Jane Romero||Yui Kimura|
|BASE GAME||CHAPTERS I-III||CHAPTERS IV+V
+ PARAGRAPH I
|CHAPTERS VI-VIII||CHAPTERS IX-XI|
|The Trapper - Evan MacMillan||The Nurse - Sally Smithson||The Doctor - Herman Carter||The Nightmare - Freddy Krueger||The Spirit - Rin Yamaoka|
|The Wraith - Philip Ojomo||The Shape - Michael Myers||The Huntress - Anna||The Pig - Amanda Young||The Legion - Frank, Julie, Susie, Joey|
|The Hillbilly - Max Thompson Jr.||The Hag - Lisa Sherwood||The Cannibal - Bubba Sawyer||The Clown - Jeffrey Hawk||The Plague - Adiris|
|CHAPTERS XII-XIV||CHAPTERS XV+XVI|
|The Ghost Face - Danny Johnson||The Deathslinger - Caleb Quinn|
|The Demogorgon||The Executioner|
|The Oni - Kazan Yamaoka|
|Benedict Baker||The Entity||The Observer||Vigo||and many more...|
|The Smasher||The Teacher|