Windows are a type of obstacle in Dead by Daylight .
Overview[edit | edit source]
They are the standard hole-in-a-wall which Players can quickly climb (vault) through to try and lose the Killer. They are common features in every trial, and can appear in the derelict walls that surround the Map or in and around landmarks.
Vaulting[edit | edit source]
Whereas the Killer usually only has a slow vaulting speed (with some exceptions), Survivors are able to vault Windows at three different speeds:
Fast Vault[edit | edit source]
If a Survivor runs straight towards a Window for at least 2.5 metres, they will quickly vault over the Window and continue running without losing speed.
- This vault will take 0.5 seconds.
- This type of vault will alert the Killer with a noise notification.
- This can be surpressed by using the Perk Quick & Quiet .
Medium Vault[edit | edit source]
If a Survivor attempts to quickly climb through a Window but they don't have enough momentum or do it at an angle, they will quickly climb over the Window but with more of their body exposed, making it easier for the Killer to hit them from a distance.
- The vault will take 0.9 seconds.
- This type of vault will also alert the Killer.
Slow Vault[edit | edit source]
If a Survivor walks up to a Window and climbs through it, the vault will be slow and quiet.
- This type of vault will not alert the Killer.
- It still makes a quiet noise that can be identified by experienced Killers if they are close enough to hear it.
Window Grab[edit | edit source]
Any injured Survivor can be grabbed mid-vault by the Killer and hoisted directly onto their shoulder by tapping the attack button (default: M1, R2, or RT), putting them instantly into the Dying State upon a drop.
Window Blocker[edit | edit source]
If a Survivor vaults the same window 3 times in a single chase, the Entity will block off the Window for a set amount of time. The blockage only affects the Survivor that activated it. Other Survivors and the Killer can still climb through the Window without trouble.
If a Survivor vaults a blocked Window just as it becomes unblocked near the Killer, it will be blocked on the first vault, as opposed to the three vaults. The Survivor must either wait the equivalent of the Entity block timer while it is unblocked, or have the Killer leave the area to vault three times.
Change Log[edit | edit source]
- Added the Window Blocker mechanic.
- All Killers now vault Windows in 1.7 seconds.
- Survivors must now run straight at a Window with at least 2.5 metres of clearance in order to fast-vault.
- Medium Vault now has a unique animation to better distinguish it from a fast vault.
- Medium Vault time decreased from 1 second to 0.9 seconds.
- Survivors will carry over any momentum they had from before the vault instead of being reset to 0.
- Reduced the Window Blocker requirement to 2 vaults.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Shape, The Wraith (the latter using the Shadow Dance Add-ons) and The Legion are the only Killers with the ability to vault through Windows faster than other Killers, to the point of being only slightly slower or even slightly faster than a medium vault of a Survivor.
- Only two Perks can make the vault speed of the other Killer faster: Fire Up and Bamboozle .
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Bear Traps||Chests||Crows||Dark Mist||Exit Gates|
|Moonlight||Pallets||Pools of Devotion||Totems||Windows|